Friday, January 18, 2013

March 8th, 2013: Operation Break My Jaw

Well, as the title of this post suggests, my surgery date has been scheduled for March 8, 2013.  I had to tell my employer right away because they had been anxious about when I would be out.  They’ve been really kind about me taking 4 weeks off for recovery (instead of just 2 weeks), but they needed to start looking for a temp to hire to take my place while I’m out so that I don’t come back to mountains of work, and so that they don’t fall behind without me.

Also, I’d like to give you all a mini-update on my diet changes and quest to eat as healthily as possible before surgery.  I’ve been a vegan since January 1st.  This means no eggs, no dairy (including butter), no seafood, and no meat.  Some people freak out when I explain what a vegan diet is because people think I can't possibly be getting all the nutrients and vitamins I need, but I beg to differ.  I have actually never felt better in my life.  And I truly mean that.  Here’s a break-down of what I’ve been eating/rotating through meals for the last 18 days:
  1. Veggie tacos- I make these on a regular basis and use whatever veggies (try potatoes!) I have in the fridge to make a yummy sauté.  I usually add black or pinto beans and even a vegan Mexican “cream” recipe I found online.  
  2. Veggie bowls-  one of my favorite “simple meals” growing up was a bowl of rice, beans, and avocado.  I’ve modified this by adding even more veggies like caramelized onions, tomatoes and other veggies. DELICIOUS. 
  3. Salads- there are a million and one different salad recipes online.  I’ve made so many different kinds of salads, and they’re all delicious and filling.  Love my salads. 
  4. Veggie/fruit smoothies.  I make these in the morning and/or evenings if I’m too lazy to cook.  I swear these are my secret to feeling so amazing because I just put everything into the blender raw (health experts say cooking veggies makes them lose some of their vitamins).  As an example, this morning I blended some soy milk (I also use something called flax milk sometimes) a swiss chard leaf, kale, spinach, a carrot, a banana, a mix of frozen berries, and a little protein powder (though I get most of my protein from all the different kinds of beans I eat, so I don’t always add this).  I'll be adding ginger right before and during recovery because it's a natural anti-inflamatory food. These smoothies honestly keep me full for about 4-5 hours--- it’s a raw, full meal of vegetables and fruits in one sitting.  I have a feeling I’ll be having a lot of these kinds of smoothies during recovery to help with the hunger.  
  5. 17 bean stew (or other veggie stews and chilis—super easy to make in a crockpot)  
  6. Pasta dishes--- I use whole grain pastas, but I love pasta dishes (with no cheese of course)

I feel like I get tons of vitamins and all the nutrients my body could possibly need.  It was pretty hard the first week, but once I broke through that first week, I kinda stopped craving all the stuff I wanted on day 1 and 2.   18 days in, and I know I've lost my "holiday weight" (all my clothes fit comfortably again, some even fit loose).  My hair and nails are super strong.  I noticed I don't lose as much hair in the shower as I normally do when I wash it.  My skin cleared up-- I really think this has to do with the dairy---- I've ALWAYS had issues with acne, and this is the first time I've ever noticed it subside for a sustained period of time (and it's only been 18 days!).   And lastly, my energy levels are through the roof.  I don't even really need coffee in the morning anymore... which is sad.  I like coffee, but lately it gives me the shakes if I drink it.  I wake up feeling completely refreshed and rested--- I don't have that Oh!-I-don't-want-to-get-out-of-bed feeling anymore at all---this really freaks me out, and it's  been the most surprising thing of all.   I just can't believe how not tired I am anymore.  I don't even get that 3pm nap time feeling anymore.  So weird. 

But for now, I'm taking all of these things as good signs that I'm doing good by my body, and (for now) I'll keep going.   But let me also just say,  I will be SO EXCITED the day that I'm braces free, and able to open wide enough to bite into a thick juicy "LA-gourmet" burger (if I still crave them by then)!!

3 comments:

  1. Well done for your commitment Adrienne! If only I had the same willpower to convert to such a healthy lifestyle. Im glad you have found a 'diet' that makes you feel so alive x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our surgeries are only 4 days apart!! It's going to be interesting to see how our recoveries are alike and different at the same time. Surgery buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Surgery buddies for sure! How are you feeling about everything? Have you had your pre-op appointments yet?

    ReplyDelete