Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Face is Crooked

Sooner rather than later, I'll post some pictures of my improved smile since I've been in braces for a year now.

I have an orthodontist adjustment on January 8th, and I plan on asking them to please email me a copy of my X-rays so that I can post them, along with current pics of my teeth, smile, and face.

Back in November, when I first met with my surgeon and she saw my before and after molds and x-rays, she said my overbite was greatly improved than from when I first got the braces on.  She asked my orthodontist to add brackets to my very back molars (and a new wire), and to finish straightening the bottom teeth.  Both the surgeon and the orthodontist think the braces will be able to move my overbite back enough so that they don't have to move my upper jaw back in surgery.  The braces have even helped my cant a lot--- my smile is still crooked from the top gum-line, but because my overbite has been forced back, my lips cover much more of the gumminess than they used to.

Also, I realize now that I've been so excited about the aesthetic changes to come that I never mentioned my facial asymmetry also causes my jaws to pop and lock on a semi-regular basis.  Let's just say I have to be careful when I yawn or when I open too wide for a sandwich.  My grandmother has had TMJ her whole life, and now can barely open her mouth wide enough for a fork or spoon.  When she heard about my jaw problems she told me and my mother to definitely do the surgery or expect my TMJ to get worse.  My surgeon and orthodontist have also told me this is possible.  So, here we are... and with insurance coverage!! Thank you full-time job!! 

I'm just glad that not only will I prevent future damage, but I'll be treating some current chronic jaw pain, and of course, "fixing" my smile!

Here's a self pic I took of myself shortly before my braces were put on.  I had just given myself a facial, and was going to text it to my (ex)boyfriend just to make him laugh, but when I saw how crooked my chin was, I was too embarrassed to send it at all.  I'm actually surprised I still had it on my phone at all.


Funny, how such little things can make us so insecure.  So glad we live in a time when we can do something about it.  Aren't you guys?

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wish Blogger had a 'Like' button for a post :) I love the quirky photo! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I feel you with backing off of sending pics, I was on skype with my bf yesterday and all I could see was my jaw going all over the place.
    I have the same popping jaw problem, once I was at the dentist and she told me to open and I just couldn´t, took me a good 5 mins to manage to open again. I´m so thankful about medical advances, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for following! Looks like we'll all be in pain together, but I'm glad we'll have this blog for the support. I think my family and closest friends are tired of me talking about the surgery, the recovery, etc. So, it's nice to get all of my worries and random thoughts out to a community that understands where I'm coming from, and how I'm feeling.

    Tania, I totally feel ya on that skype thing--- I hate skype because I can see my chin and crooked smile as I speak, and it's just sooo distracting! Hopefully, once this is over, we'll be distracted by how great we look instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,have you had headgear?rubber bands?
    Bye bye Adrienne.
    Good luck to your bracessmile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, never had headgear or rubberbands. Growing up, my dentist always told me I didn't need braces or any kind of orthodontic treatment plan. I always secretly thought I needed them, but what kid wants braces? Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete