Monday, March 25, 2013

1st Post-Op: OUCH! (Day 7 & 8)

Hello Everyone!

First, my apologies for the delay in updating! I know I left you guys on a bit of a cliff hanger on day 6, right before my first post-op appointment.  Honestly, at first the off/on pain I was experiencing this past week (week 2) really made it difficult for me to focus enough on updating the blog, but I tried to keep a (written) list of things I wanted to include once I felt more up to blogging.  So, for now let me backtrack a little to get you guys up to speed.  I'm going to split this VERY long update into separate posts in an effort to not make this blog a novel every time you read it.  :)  Thanks for all your support, cheers, and check-in's on me.  I haven't told any friends or family about this blog (except my Mom and Doctor), but I already feel like I have an extended family of friends in all of you out there.  I'm rooting for all of you too! 

Day 7: 1st Post-Op Doc Update

I was practically dying of anticipation to get to the Doc.  I wanted to know the details of how the surgery went, what she thought of my healing and swelling, but most especially I wanted her to cut my bands off and let my jaw open.  By late evening on day 6, I had noticed that my cheek muscles on both sides, but especially my right side were getting really sore.  It was like they were screaming at me to exercise, or move or something, anything to "stretch" them.  Imagine my surprise then, when the Doc cut the bands, and I immediately felt my whole body tense up in fear, anticipation of the worst, and, uh-oh, PAIN!  Immediate sharp pain in my right TMJ.  I also noticed that I instinctively (and comically) reached up to "support" by bottom jaw from "falling off" my face.  The minute I did that, I didn't know whether to laugh or keep taking deep fearful breaths because, of course, my jaw wasn't going to fall off!  I just got scared that without the bands holding my mouth tightly shut, my bottom jaw wouldn't know how to stay in place.  Even my mom kinda laughed when she saw me do this.  Even more distracting was that sudden pain though.  The Doc let me know my initial panic and pain was normal, and soothingly rubbed an ice pack (that she already had prepared before she cut the bands) over my forehead (I had actually broken out in a cold sweat).

This was before I saw the Doc.  I have swelling in my nose, cheeks and upper and lower lips. You can kinda see the yellow bruising on my neck too, but this was gone by Day 12 or so. 
Swelling is way more evident from the side, but check out that new chin! Also the red mark on my cheek is the stitch the Doc made on either side of my face. And the stuff on my chin is the glue from the chin guard thing I had to wear all week.

She took a look in my mouth and marveled at how fast everything was healing.  The stitches on my top jaw were already beginning to fall out (not so much on the bottom).  She was pleased with how "clean" I had kept my mouth (thank you water pik and baby tooth brush), and announced I could stop taking the antibiotic I had been prescribed.  On days 5, 6, and 7 I seemed to be taking my Hydrocodone only as needed, which happened to be at night, and very first thing in the mornings.  If I didn't take it at night, I usually woke up in AGONY (and I mean tears and everything) either in the middle of the night or very early in the morning.  Because of this the Doc gave me a refill for the next week, but was otherwise pleased with my healing thus far.  I reiterated to her that I was still feeling that sharp TMJ pain before I left, but she attributed this to having worked on my right side for longer than she did on my left.

She then said that I wouldn't be in tight bands anymore, but instead two "loose" bands on either side of my mouth, and encouraged me to do lip exercises to help my muscles loosen up around my lips.  This involves making kissy and smiley faces. 

It was GLORIOUS to be in looser bands and actually able to speak clearly.  I asked if I could try "mushy" foods now, as opposed to ONLY liquids, and she seemed to be okay with me trying, but not "overdoing" it. 

Day 8:  PAIN

After I got home from the previous day's post-op visit, I couldn't get any relief from that TMJ pain so I took Hydrocodone to help and slept until Day 8.  I woke up, still in pain, but this time it was a general pain (7/10) ALL OVER my face.  I really didn't want to take Hydrocodone all day long to control the pain, so instead I changed an appointment I had already set for the day with my herbal doctor (to get my herbs for the swelling) to also make it an acupuncture appointment (for the pain).

This was my very first acupuncture appointment, and I am pleased to report to you all that I felt IMMEDIATE relief afterward.  It wasn't 100% relief, but initially it was at least 50% better, and only got better throughout the day.  Don't know what they put in those needles, but I'm officially a believer. I managed to go the rest of the day and night without needing the Hydrocodone.  I took Children's Tylenol instead. 

Eating:  Uh, so I can't eat ANYTHING. I couldn't even get mashed potatoes into my mouth.  I'm back to liquids.  The only upside to being able to open my mouth even a little is that I can speak clearly, and that I can now VERY slowly and VERY gently push my vitamins/supplements into my mouth.  Crushing/Blending them into juice is SO DISGUSTING.  No, really. I'm not exaggerating.  I gagged every time.




No comments:

Post a Comment