Thursday, March 14, 2013

Day 6: I can almost see my face again!

Hello Bloggers!


Just a quick update and photo with my progress on day 6.  I gotta say, I'm starting to feel pretty good about all the prep I've done in order to deal with the recovery of this surgery. 

I woke up ravenous today, and just about gulped down a protein smoothie the minute I woke up.  Again, this is a BAD idea for me.  I really must get better at being patient with the amount of fluids I chug down at a time, because about 1minute after drinking it, it just came right back up (if you must know, it didn't look any different than it did going down).  Oddly enough, I felt better after that anyway, and just rehydrated with coconut and watermelon water.  I ate some more more pureed and strained soups (I'm really liking the Tomato Bisque variety), and then the headaches started.

I'm almost certain that I'm getting headaches because of the pressure on my jaws to stay shut.  I won't really know till I can ask the Doc tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure that's it.  However,  I didn't think a headache warranted pain meds, so I took some Children's Tylenol.  I made up a dosage, since there doesn't seem to be a "big baby" dosage on the label.  :) But other than that, today is the first day I haven't needed to take pain meds, and I'm super happy about that. 

Also, at this point, my "bed buddy" is really coming in handy.  After freezing it for a couple of hours it feels better than wonderful to let it rest over my eyes and just fall asleep and let the coldness of it and the Tylenol work its magic.  I woke up feeling MUCH better, and immediately went for a 20 minute walk (my longest walk yet).  When I came back, I looked in the mirror and realized that I think my swelling has gone down even more today!  My mom absolutely agrees, and is beyond freaked out at how fast the swelling is going down.  We're both looking forward to seeing what the Doc has to say tomorrow. 

Thank you for your comments and questions!  Keep 'em coming!!  As I said before, I was happy to be your guinea pig, and now I'm happy to follow through to the end.  I'll be sure to update you guys after the doc appointment when I get a chance, but in the meantime, here are some photos for you guys to compare. PS: the tape on my chin is just barely hanging on at this point.  Hoping I won't need it anymore after tomorrow's appointment.

Day 1 (1st day after surgery)


Day 4
Day 6















Thanks again for all the support and commiseration, guys!  Wishing everyone else currently recovering a speedy and healthy one!

5 comments:

  1. Day6 WOW!!!! HOW IS YOUR BREATHING? DOES THAT SINUS FACE THING HELP YOU? HOW MUCH WAS IS? Looking good chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My breathing has been fine this whole time, Kristie. I don't know if the bed buddy (you can find on Amazon) will help with the breathing, but it will help with any sinus discomfort you might currently have. I think it was the Bromelain prep that kept my breathing/sinuses healthy after surgery. It took about 2 weeks of taking it to feel the difference in my sinuses.

      Delete
  2. Wow -Adrienne the reduction in your swelling is amazing! Will be checking back through your blog for all your prep tips. Hope your recovery continues to ho well.
    Cheers, Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellie! I hope so too. Best of luck to you, too! Feel free to ask any additional questions you may have along the way. :)

      Delete
  3. Hiya Adrienne :) you are looking GREAT! Like Ellie said - the swelling decrease is mega! Are you pleased with your new bite, or is it a little too soon to tell?

    ReplyDelete